Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Competition and Progress

Its called progress, there was a time when our parents used to shop at the corner store then we all went to the IGA and now they drive to Wallmart. We complain about the local businesses but do not do enough to support them ourselves.  I know they dont always have the product we are looking for but if we supported them more they might just start having more products on the shelf.  Its called competition but is it a good thing for the crowsnest pass. Over the years i have seen many businesses come and go many because there just isnt the population to support that particular product but others had to close because of competition. I realize competition is what maintains the standard and without it that may decline. That being said we can only support so many restuarants, video outlets and grocery stores. If a local restuarant has been providing a quality product at a reasonable price for decades should their business have to suffer while the public tries out the latest ventures that were given a license. Where is the public conscious on this? As we have seen the established ones last while the new ventures dont always survive. There are of course exceptions to that and they are from people who work as hard at their venture as the established ones do. any thoughts ?     

1 comment:

  1. For years the municipality as been accused of not being open for business.
    This community does not have the luxury of refusing new businesses.

    The strongest way to combat competition is to provide a great product with good service, at a reasonable price. People will keep coming back, I know I do. The vice versa also applys too, I visted one of our local restaurants about six months ago and received absolutly terrible service, did not go back until last weekend (much better).

    The one thing I wish people would look at more is what bussinesses put back into the community. During my time on council and involvement with various groups I noticed some local businesses that supported all kinds of groups in the community and others that did nothing. Yes I know some can't afford to, but others can and won't.

    Dean Ward

    I support those businesses evry chance I get for that reason alone even if it costs me a little more at times.

    ReplyDelete